Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I Love Tail Wind!


Yesterday I felt really great! I was way ahead of everyone the whole day. 74 miles by myself. I didn't push it that hard or really aim to be first. It just happened. It was really windy and had side wind, head wind and tail wind.

When I hit some tail wind I got to 31mph on the flats for a mile or so. I was flying! But then I had to turn back into the side wind. Lame!

The day before was another 74 miles. Rode through some pretty good rain for about 20 minutes. Also took pictures at 3 corners, where Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma meet. Missouri was a bonus state that we rode in for 8 miles. Also right at the end I had a tire blowout. It was a pretty loud bang. I put 2,300 miles on the tire so I'm not really bummed. I will be making a belt out of it when I get back home though.

On the 21st we rode 91 miles through the Ozarks. Wasn't bad at all. A bunch of climbing but used to it now. Hit a new high speed record, 41.4 mph!

A couple of us that got to the host site first decided to do 9 more miles to get back to back centuries. We were in Fayetteville and it's on a hill. Everywhere we turned were hills, so we had to go down one but we had ice cream at the bottom to make it all better. Those last miles took forever!

Today is our second day off and we are in Bartlesville, OK. Got a list of things I need to do after breakfast, which is at 9:30. About the time that we have first lunch if it's a long riding day.



Cole Train!

3 corners

Me not talking on a phone, really!

4 comments:

GregK said...

Hiya Dave,

The comments have been kind of slow recently, but I wanted to let you know I check this page pretty much every day!

I was reading other folks' blogs the other day and I was struck by how casual the ride can be -- people stopping at Taco Bell, or going on quick side trips, even hikes!

What is the typical schedule for a ride day?

Keep on riding!
Greg

Dave said...

It's very casual. Riders usually need to be in by 4.

Wake up at 5-6, be on the road after breakfast and route meeting by 7:30.

A lunch or two along the way and getting to the host site little by little. Showers and dinner follow. Usually we do presentations at the host site for people of the church/community.

ryanellis777 said...

Man I wish I could do that. I actually think I will do it next year though. You have motivated me to actually do it. On the down side, I think I broke my arm yesterday. I am going to an orthopedic tomorrow to find out. It sucks too because I wasn't riding the bike. It would have made a better story. Oh, well. Have fun and it's great seeing the pictures. Have fun.
~Ryan

Prone to wander... said...

Missing you man.