Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Finally!



Man, it's been a long time. I finally have a connection, time and not dead tired. So here is the last 4-5 days.

On the 30th we had an 85 mile day. Up and down all day but wasn't bad. One of the riders church held us up for the night. His church was awesome as with all our hosts. Names escape me. Most of the days are all a blend. It's hard to remember the place we stayed at the night before.

The 31st was awesome! 68 miles, hot, rolling hills and I killed it! I just felt really good after lunch that day and got to the church we were staying at first. I don't think that will happen again. I got to chalk twice. I was riding with one group, they stopped for a rest and I "picked up" Dennis. He was pulling for awhile and I took over and pretty much ditched him. I was just flying up the hills. For the last 8 miles I was by myself.

The 1st of June was awesome as well. We rode 68 miles, mostly on the Blue Ridge Parkway which is in a bunch of different national parks or something. Our first real mountains at 10,000 feet of climbing. It was tough. Wasn't feeling it and the climbs were long.

51 miles were pretty much climbing. After lunch we had 17 miles to go and it was pretty much all down hill. It was so fun flying down the hills. Twists and turns, 30mph, viaducts, bridges, views and the first day where everyone felt great and pumped.



This is a pic at our first stop

This is a group of us at the Eastern Continental Divide on the 1st

The 2nd was good and tough. 78 miles, almost 7 hours in the saddle for me, 11.4 avg mph and 36.2 max speed. 12,000 feet of climbing goodness.

Today we had our 3rd build day. That was really cool. Some went with Habitat to stucco a house and stuff. Me and 10 others went with another organization to build a wheelchair ramp. I took a bunch of pictures which I'll post in the next day or two.

Tomorrow is going to be one of the toughest days on this trip. Asheville to Gatlinburg. 85 miles and 17,000 feet of climbing. So with that, it's time for me to sleep.

Dave

3 comments:

John Getchel said...

WOW Dave Awesome pictures. Can you tell me where they were taken? It sounds like you are having a blast and some great riding.

Take Care, and give my best wishes to all the rest in your group!

Prone to wander... said...

You are only an hour away from my home in Tennessee when you are in Asheville. Some of the prettiest landscape in the country. Lucky. Sounds like you are doing well and seeing a lot. Missing you here. Be blessed...

Dave said...

The first picture is unknown and the second one is somewhere along our Taylorsville to Newland leg. It's all melding together so I could be totally wrong.